Demolition of Fire-Damaged W.O. House Begins

By Cami DiBattista | Posted in: White Oak News

The demolition of a property on State Street in White Oak destroyed by a fire began last week.

Legal approvals to remove nine additional structures have been received, borough Solicitor Krisha DiMascio said at last week's council meeting. The structures will be prioritized and demolished as funds are obtained.

Council also approved the instillation of electronic upgrades to the bathhouse of the White Oak swimming pool during the meeting, per the request of borough Manager John Palyo.

At a cost of $500, the installation will include a new front desk microphone system, two new cameras and a new high-definition radio.

Prior to the public meeting, council met for an executive session, which was closed to the public, to discuss personnel and litigation matters, according to DiMascio.

In other business:

White Oak resident Laura Cornell addressed council during the public comments section of the meeting regarding a property for sale at the end of California Avenue, which butts up against Dearborn Drive hill.

Cornell said as it is a known landslide area and it is evident there has already been damage, the disruption of the property would be hazardous to landowners at the top of the hill. She requested that no one be allowed to build on the property.

DiMascio said the lot is private property and council would have no legal jurisdiction over the matter, but that there is currently no application submitted by anyone interested in building on the property.


A motion was passed to ratify action from a June 11 public workshop meeting to accept a proposal from Voltz Environmental in the amount of $600 for an asbestos survey of the bathhouse roof at the swimming pool and authorize Palyo to execute the proposal.

Additionally, a motion was passed to ratify action for the June 11 workshop authorizing the borough engineer to design and bid the construction of a new 1,000-ton salt shed structure. The cost estimate for the shed is $98,250.


Mayor Ina Jean Marton gave the police activity report for May 2018 which included ten arrests (nine adults, one juvenile). Charges included three drug offenses, two disorderly conduct charges, one DUI, one forgery, one harassment and two thefts. A total of 725 incidents and 81 traffic violations were reported.

Council President David Pasternak announced that there will be a council workshop meeting at 6:45 p.m. July 9; and a council workshop at 6:45 p.m. July 16 with a council meeting to follow at 8 p.m.


Cami DiBattista is a freelance writer.

Originally published June 26, 2018.

In other news:
"Police Allege Man Set…" || "County Hits Clairton …"