Olympic gold medalist Swin Cash, Allegheny County Judge David Spurgeon and members of the "McKeesport 23" will be among the newest alumni to be inducted into the McKeesport High School Hall of Fame.
The induction ceremony and dinner will be held Sept. 22 at Stratigos Banquet Centre, Colonial Manor Road, North Huntingdon Twp.
The inductees were announced by the McKeesport-based Consortium for Public Education. Tickets are on sale now for $50, and congratulations messages to be shown during the dinner also are being accepted.
The event will be the 31st annual induction into the hall of fame, a spokeswoman said. There will be 211 members of the hall of fame following the ceremony.
The inductees for 2018 include:
- Daniel F. Marusa, Class of 1969 (Naval Commander; Executive Officer of the Naval Air Technical Training Center)
- Barbara Bechtol Cross, Class of 1971 (Retired Lieutenant Colonel, United States Marine Corps)
- David J. Thompson, Class of 1978 (Detective and bureau commander, Malibu Lost Hills Station, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept.)
- David Spurgeon, Class of 1989 (Judge, Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas)
- Lauren Apter Bairnsfather, Class of 1992 (Executive Director, Holocaust Center of Pittsburgh)
- Swin Cash-Canal, Class of 1998 (Director of Franchise Development, New York Liberty; retired professional basketball player and Olympic gold medalist)
Also to be inducted, posthumously, are members of the "McKeesport 23," the 23 service members from McKeesport and Elizabeth Twp. who were killed in action during the Vietnam War, including 10 who were members of the LaRosa Boys and Girls Club:
Norman Wallace “Boots” Johnson, Michael Joseph Nemchick, Michael Dennis Pliska, James Francis Brooks Jr., Thomas John Winklevoss, Tyrone Gregory Burse, James Edward West, David Lloyd George Moser, Gregory Francis Popowitz, Curtis Taylor Gay, Thomas James “Jitters” Sweeney, Louis Howard Huff II, Jack Claire Plumb, John Alan Germek Jr., James Robert Long, Tibor Sotak, Patrick Robert McNelis, Raymond Gibel, Richard Michael Arnovitz, Kenneth Jordan Kline, Donald Robert Donaldson, Terry Jack Martell and Vincent Edward Galka.
In addition to tickets, sponsorship and congratulations messages also are being accepted for $25. The messages will be shown as part of a slide show. Proceeds will be donated to the MHS All-Alumni Scholarship Fund, the spokeswoman said.
The event begins with a reception from 6 to 7 p.m. Dinner will include a salad, sliced sirloin or chicken marsala, potatoes, vegetables, dessert and soft drinks or coffee.
For more information, contact Vicki Corwin at the alumni office at (412) 678-9215.
The deadline for reservations is Sept. 7. Checks may be made payable to McKeesport High School Alumni & Friends Association, c/o Consortium for Public Education, 1100 Industry Road, McKeesport, PA 15132.
Originally published July 31, 2018.