To place your ad, email Ads start at $1 per day, minimum seven days.

Boil Water Advisory in Place for Port Vue, 10th Ward

By Jason Togyer
The Tube City Almanac
January 22, 2019
Posted in: Announcements

Updated with additional details, 8 p.m.

(Map courtesy Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County.)

Officials have issued a "boil water" advisory for Port Vue and McKeesport's 10th Ward following a water main break on Joy Street near Romine Avenue, up the hill from the 15th Avenue Bridge.

A 6-inch water main broke at approximately 9:30 a.m. Monday, causing a loss of water pressure throughout the system, said Matthew Junker, a spokesman for the Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County.

About 2,100 customers were affected, he said. Crews were still making repairs on Monday night.

The loss of water pressure could have allowed contamination to enter water lines through back-flow, Junker said, and until further notice, MAWC customers in Port Vue and the city's 10th Ward should boil their tap water before using it to drink, cook or make ice.

Water should be brought to a rolling boil, then allowed to boil for one minute and cool before using, Junker said.

Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, washing dishes, brushing teeth, food preparation and making ice.

Untreated or contaminated water may contain bacteria, viruses and parasites that could cause nausea, cramps, diarrhea and other illnesses, Junker said.

Once repairs to the water main break are completed, the municipal authority will conduct water quality sampling to confirm there are no issues, he said.

A spokesman for Port Vue's Vigilant Hose Co. says that due to "extremely reduced pressure" at hydrants in the borough, the fire department is also taking special precautions, including the addition of water tankers to any fire calls.

Water buffaloes with fresh drinking water were delivered to the Port Vue Borough Building and at the fire hall on Romine Avenue after 4 p.m. Tuesday, according to borough police.

Anyone who needs additional information should call the water authority at (724) 755-5800, or visit its website, Junker said.

Originally published January 22, 2019.

In other news:
"412 Food Rescue Seeks…" || "Former Wilmerding Y t…"