No Injuries Reported in Lamont Street Fire

By Jason Togyer | Posted in: News

A pet cat is credited with alerting two city residents to a fire in the attic of a Lamont Street home.

The Allegheny County Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the blaze, which happened early this morning, but McKeesport Deputy Fire Chief Tom Perciavalle said that it may have been caused by faulty wiring.

Perciavalle said the residents of the home at 2005 Lamont were awakened just before 1:30 a.m. when one of their two cats bolted, frightened, from the bathroom adjoining the upstairs master bedroom.

"They felt it was unusual behavior, because the cat is fairly sedentary," Perciavalle said.

One of the residents went into the bathroom to see what was wrong, and saw fire in the bathroom ceiling, Perciavalle said.

The residents -- including one of their cats -- safely exited the home. The other cat is missing but is presumed to be somewhere in the neighborhood, Perciavalle said.

McKeesport firefighters responded along with crews from the Glassport, Dravosburg, Duquesne Annex and White Oak volunteer fire departments. Perciavalle said the blaze was brought under control in approximately 20 minutes, with fire damage confined to the attic, and water damage throughout the house.

The American Red Cross is assisting the victims, Perciavalle said.

Originally published March 09, 2018.

In other news:
"Plans for Former Dail…" || "Brewster Calls for Ar…"