City Ceremony Sunday Will Mark 75th Anniversary of Namesake's WWII Sinking

By Submitted Report | Posted in: Announcements

(Image courtesy Wrecksite.EU, the Internet's largest database of shipwreck information)


A ceremony and luncheon this Sunday will mark the 75th anniversary of the sinking during World War II of the S.S. McKeesport.

The event begins at 1 p.m. April 29 at Jacob Woll Pavilion in Renziehausen Park, a spokeswoman said.

The S.S. McKeesport, a merchant marine vessel, was one of 30 supply ships named for cities where U.S. Steel had large operations.

Built by U.S. Steel's Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. in Kearney, N.J., it was completed in 1919 and christened by Eleanor Cornelius, daughter of the general manager of McKeesport's National Tube Co. pipe mill.

During World War II, S.S. McKeesport was pressed into service to supply Allied forces in Europe.

It was part of a convoy of supply ships that was returning to the United States from Europe when it was torpedoed by a German U-boat on April 29, 1943.

All 67 crew members were rescued by another ship, though one crewman, Seaman John A. Anderson of Baltimore, later died as a result of exposure to the icy waters.

A monument to the sailors of the S.S. McKeesport can be viewed at the McKees Point Marina on Water Street.

Members of the S.S. McKeesport committee include Tom Maglicco, Mary Ann Goldie, Laura W. Jenkins, Dr. Rudy A. Antoncic, Jim Fedasz, Sue Striffler Galaski, Bobbie Billsborrow, Ruth Antoncic, Frank Tarli, Ernie Oatneal, Jennifer Vertullo and Bruce Roberts.

Originally published April 23, 2018.

In other news:
"Library, Director Rec…" || "McKeesport's Short to…"