Tube City Community Media Inc. is seeking freelance writers to help cover city council, news and feature stories in McKeesport, Duquesne, White Oak and the neighboring communities. High school and college students seeking work experience are encouraged to apply; we are willing to work with students who need credit toward class assignments. Please send cover letter, resume, two writing samples and the name of a reference (an employer, supervisor, teacher, etc. -- not a relative) to firstname.lastname@example.org. (4-11-2023 to 4-30-2023)
Ads start at $1 per day, minimum seven days.
Irwin and the Irwin Business and Professional Association will hold the borough's 35th annual Light-Up Night and parade from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursday (Nov. 19), a spokesperson said.
Entertainment will include live music at multiple locations, and many downtown stores will be open for the event.
The parade and Light-Up Night are sponsored by S&T Bank, Parkview Community Credit Union, Duncan Financial, Trib Total Media and Commercial Bank & Trust of Pennsylvania.
Free parking will be available at Norwin Hills Shopping Center and shuttle buses will be run from the parking lot of Excela Square at Norwin Hills from 5 to 9 p.m. There is no charge.
The event will be held regardless of weather or temperature. For more information, call (724) 216-6200.
The schedule is as follows:
- 4 p.m.: Main St closes, stores and restaurants are open and food vendors set up
- 5 p.m.: Entertainment begins with an orchestra at 5th & Main
- 5:15 p.m.: Norwin Show Choir at The Lamp Theater
- 5:30 p.m.: Dance Entertainment at 3rd & Main by Janet's School of Dance and Queen of Angels Show Choir
- 6:25 p.m.: Lighting of the Christmas Tree, decorated by the Norwin Rotary, at 3rd & Main
- 6:30 p.m.: Parade begins
- 7:30 p.m.: Santa will be in the S&T Bank lobby at 3rd & Main until 9 p.m.
Originally published November 18, 2015.