To place your ad, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Ads start at $1 per day, minimum seven days.
Tube City Community Media Inc. is seeking one or more freelance writers to cover occasional news and feature stories in the McKeesport area.
Contributors will be paid on a per-assignment basis. These are not salaried or contracted positions and these positions may be eliminated at any time, with or without warning.
The position currently to be filled is:
- White Oak borough correspondent
Writers will be expected to, at minimum, attend the monthly council meetings and file a report within 24 hours. Other topics may, from time to time, be assigned.
High school and college students seeking work experience are encouraged to apply; Tube City Community Media is willing to work with students who need credit toward class assignments.
Payment rate is negotiable and payments to correspondents will be made upon acceptance.
Payments will not be made for stories that are rejected as unsuitable for publication.
These are so-called "stringer" positions:
In journalism, a stringer is a freelance journalist or photographer who contributes reports or photos to a news organization on an ongoing basis but is paid individually for each piece of published or broadcast work.
- Excellent written communications skills
- Polite behavior and professional appearance
- Previous experience as a writer on a high school or college newspaper, or non-fiction blog
- Open to editing and changes to stories, if necessary
- Access to reliable transporation
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Must not be a candidate for public office, and must not have been a candidate within the past two years; and must not currently be engaged in political campaigning of any kind
- Must not be employed by White Oak borough, the City of McKeesport or McKeesport Area School District
Please send cover letter, resume, two writing samples and the name of a reference (an employer, supervisor, teacher, etc. -- not a relative) to email@example.com.
Tube City Community Media may reject any applicant for any or no reason.
However, Tube City Community Media does not discriminate and is required not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by county, state and federal law.
Originally published April 19, 2017.