To place your ad, email email@example.com. Ads start at $1 per day, minimum seven days.
We are still looking for writers to cover White Oak and the City of Duquesne. Writers are paid for assignments on a per-assignment basis.
The positions currently to be filled are:
- Duquesne City correspondent
- White Oak borough correspondent
Writers will be expected to, at minimum, attend the monthly council meetings in either Duquesne or White Oak and write a story for Tube City Almanac within 24 hours. Other topics may, from time to time, be assigned.
High school and college students seeking work experience are encouraged to apply! Tube City Community Media is willing to work with students who need credit toward class assignments.
Previous experience as a writer on a high school or college newspaper, or non-fiction blog, is helpful.
- Excellent written communications skills
- Polite behavior and professional appearance
- Open to editing and changes to stories, if necessary
- Access to reliable transportation
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Must not be a candidate for public office, and must not have been a candidate within the past two years; and must not currently be engaged in political campaigning of any kind
- Must not be employed by City of Duquesne, Duquesne City School District, White Oak borough or McKeesport Area School District
Payment rate is negotiable and payments to correspondents will be made upon acceptance. Payments will not be made for stories that are rejected as unsuitable for publication. These are not salaried or contracted positions and these positions may be eliminated at any time, with or without warning.
These are so-called "stringer" positions:
In journalism, a stringer is a freelance journalist or photographer who contributes reports or photos to a news organization on an ongoing basis but is paid individually for each piece of published or broadcast work.
Please send cover letter, resume, two writing samples and the name of a reference (an employer, supervisor, teacher, etc. -- not a relative) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tube City Community Media may reject any applicant for any or no reason.
However, Tube City Community Media does not discriminate and is required not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by county, state and federal law.
Originally published August 21, 2017.