Tube City Community Media Inc. is seeking two or more freelance writers to cover occasional news and feature stories in the McKeesport area.
Contributors are paid on a per-assignment basis. These are not salaried or contracted positions and these positions may be eliminated at any time, with or without warning.
High school and college students seeking work experience are encouraged to apply; we are willing to work with students who need credit toward class assignments.
The positions currently to be filled are:
- Municipal News and School District correspondent
- Mon Valley Arts and Entertainment correspondent
Accuracy and fairness is prized above all other requirements.
- The municipal news and school district correspondent will be expected to occasionally attend municipal or school board meetings and will be paid to write an accurate story about the meeting, or about another issue in the community.
- The arts and entertainment correspondent will be expected to generate feature stories and previews of local music, theater and cultural events within a short radius from McKeesport.
Other topics may, from time to time, be assigned.
Payment rate is negotiable and payments to correspondents will be made upon acceptance. Payments will not be made for stories that are rejected as unsuitable for publication.
- Previous experience as a writer on a high school or college newspaper, or non-fiction blog
- Excellent written communications skills
- Polite behavior and professional appearance
- Open to editing and changes to stories, if necessary
- Access to reliable transporation
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Must not be a candidate for public office, and must not have been a candidate within the past two years; and must not currently be engaged in political campaigning of any kind
- Must not be employed by any municipal government or school board
Tube City Community Media may reject any applicant for any or no reason.
Tube City Community Media does not discriminate and is required not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by county, state and federal law.
Please send cover letter, resume, two writing samples and the name of a reference (an employer, supervisor, teacher, etc. -- not a relative) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note ...
These are so-called "stringer" positions:
In journalism, a stringer is a freelance journalist or photographer who contributes reports or photos to a news organization on an ongoing basis but is paid individually for each piece of published or broadcast work.
Originally published March 03, 2018.